[Xerte] Re: Narration oddness (Wizards)

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 25 21:48:25 BST 2011

I have now tested narration performance for a few pages based on Page
Wizards and the only problem I have found with narration is that narration
will not auto play on page load when using Opera 11.10.

Hence I am unable to duplicate the issues that you have described.

*Details of the test*

I created a simple test project consisting of a desktop xerte project, with
an Entry Frame, a title page, a summary page, a dialog page and a gapfill
page. Each page being generated from the latest version of the Page Wizard.
I have modified slightly the Title Page, Summary Page and Dialogue Pages by
adding the line nar.play(); to force narration to auto run on page load.

rootIcon.broadcast('showAudio');
nar.play();

I tested the project by previewing it in Xerte, and by publishing it and
then viewing it in Internet Explorer V8 64 bit and Opera 11.10 . The test
consisted of navigating through the pages in order using the next arrow
button, and then using the previous arrow button to back track through the
project. Finally I moved backwards and forwards between pages. I also used
the menu button to select pages in sequences that selected pages that were
not next to each other.

Narration played automatically on every page whichever way it was accessed
in both Preview and Internet Explorer. Auto play failed in Opera,
occasionally the narration would start to play and then stop almost as soon
as it had started. However clicking the narration play button always
resulted in the narration playing.

In all viewing environments, for all pages, whatever the route to the page
the narration bar was displayed on the page and the play button responded
when clicked on by playing the narration file.

I then removed the nar.play(); line and tested again. Other than pages that
had nar.play() removed no longer auto playing the narration on page load the
test results were consistent with the first batch of tests.

Kind regards

Johnathan