[Xerte] Re: New to Xerte - Online toolkits vs Xerte 3.0

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 16:20:59 BST 2011

Yes, more of less right.

They are very similar. When we started work on Xerte 2, Flex cost $20k per server, so we set out to write our own mash-up of that and Authorware for Flash. Now, the Flex SDK is free, and means we can build the application we always wanted to build to start with...

We debated the pros and cons of the name on the list a while ago: the consensus was to stay with Xerte.

It's a bit like ActionScript 2 and ActionScript 3 are incompatible, but they are both called actionscript.