[Xerte] Re: New to Xerte - Online toolkits vs Xerte 3.0

Patrick Lockley Patrick.Lockley at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 11:59:53 BST 2011

Hi Martyn,

Xerte online toolkits uses solely the template feature of Xerte 2 to allow users to create materials online easily (or hopefully easily).

Developers can use Xerte 2 desktop to make new templates which can then be uploaded into XOT and used.

XOT also could support other templates from outside Xerte, as it has a modular structure.

Xerte 3 doesn't have any template functionality yet (it is still under development) but I think it remains a "developer tool".

I'm never one to assume other people's abilities, but Nottingham have had a lot of academic use of the Online Toolkits, but also allowing  people to use Xerte desktop if they feel confident in doing so.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask further questions.

Pat