[Xerte] Xerte Toolkits Youtube Embed Code Problem

Vince Byfield vince at cyber-growth.com
Wed Sep 29 20:44:27 BST 2010

Hi there,

I've noticed that when using Toolkits to create a Youtube page that the more
recent Youtube embed codes were not displaying during preview or play mode.
The Youtube model appeared to initiate but the initial graphic would not
appear nor would anything play (just the animated loading icon would appear
indefinitely.)

When comparing to previous embed codes I noticed a slight change in the
syntax of the youtube parameters which seems to cause the Xerte Toolkits
Youtube Page to no longer play properly.

For example, I grabbed the following Youtube embed code today:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
http://www.youtube.com/v/iyKFp1Tff1k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"
value="always"></param><embed src="
http://www.youtube.com/v/iyKFp1Tff1k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"
allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

... and the Xerte Toolkits Youtube page would not preview or play. The
graphic box would render and the play button would appear in the middle of
the object, but the still image would not--just a black background, and when
pressing play the waiting animation would display indefinitely.

However, upon modifying the youtube movie parameters thusly:
FROM
?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US
&hl=en_US&fs=1&

so the embed code becomes:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
http://www.youtube.com/v/iyKFp1Tff1k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"
value="always"></param><embed src="
http://www.youtube.com/v/iyKFp1Tff1k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"
allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

then the Youtube video functions correctly in both play and preview mode.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so can you tell me a way so
that I can rely on the embed code from Youtube without altering it as above?

Thanks :-)

Vince