[Xerte] 'xerte@lists.nottingham.ac.uk'

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 27 13:40:31 BST 2010

Hello Steve,

When you first open Xerte you are presented with the icon level editing
facilities of Xerte. These can be used to create brand new pages and page
templates. This editor can appear a little daunting at first. So I guess
most people new to Xerte start by using Project Templates.

Project templates are great, they can provide a wide range of pre-built page
types, which you can populate with data by completing the form for each
page. However when using a project template the Xerte icon level editing
facilities are hidden from you, so if you want to modify a page type or
learn more about how to build your own pages, then this is not so helpful.

There is an alternative to Project Templates in Xerte and that is to use
individual page templates. Out of the box, Xerte does not provide individual
page templates, only project templates such as the "page templates.xtp"
file. But individual page templates are available.

At present so as to avoid confusion with the "page templates" project
template, these individual page templates are referred to as Page Wizards.
These are not included in the Xerte download, but are simple to download and
add to your Xerte installation. Full details can be found here
http://wiki.xerte.net/index.php5?title=Page_wizards

Page wizards are used in desktop Xerte. A wizard exists for every page type
that is present in the "page Templates" project template (if new pages are
added to the project template there can be a slight delay before the page
Wizard is available). There are even a few additional page types that are
not (yet?) included in the project templates, e.g. routed pages that let you
define links to other pages in your project, an inventory page that lets you
set up inventories ( set of questions leading to a score displayed in a
graph, e.g. are you visual, auditory or kinaesthetic learner), a practice
page that lets you set up items for practice and then displays them at
random.

The biggest plus of page wizards is that whilst you can still work by simply
filling in each page's form to populate the page, you are still working in
the icon level editor. So you can inspect the structure of every page; make
simple changes such as specifying fonts or text colours; create a project
that leverages the speed of individual page templates whilst still being
able to add your own bespoke pages to the project;  even build new page
types (Page Wizards) by combining elements from other pages.

If you are at all interested in lifting the hood to learn more about
building or modifying your own page types then Page Wizards are a great
place to start, for every Page Wizard is a worked example.

Whatever path you choose, enjoy :-)

Kind regards

Johnathan