[Xerte] ANN: Xpert Image Search and Attribution

Fred Riley Fred.Riley at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 13:21:54 BST 2010

> would be more useful with browse facilities IMO
> How would you like to browse?

Ooh, at a wild guess: tag/keyword, category, subject, that sort of
thing. Give the user a bit of guidance, Pat, and give them the
'serendipity option'.

> What does Xerte Image Search offer that these don't?
> I'm assuming you didn't click on the select tab

Yes, I did. I searched for "Meall nan Eun" because that's one of my
photos on Flickr and is a pretty specific term, and it did throw up
attribution info. That's useful, though other meta-search-engines do
that as well.

> are quite different. This difference is what it offers, as well as
> providing powerpoint files and code for embedding into blogs. No other
> service provides this.

Ok, just asking. Keep your curly hair on.

> Behind the typically spartan interface what goodies lurk?
> What would you like it to do?

Answering a Q with a Q is no answer. I'm just asking what's behind the
basic interface. Just curious, is all. I'll not be using the service
myself as I don't currently use Xerte (much), but it might be a useful
meta-search engine to tell colleagues about. Our School is particularly
exercised over the issue of copyright and third party materials, so it
might be a useful tool for our staff, but given their IT naivete they'll
need a friendlier interface. A recent (though graphically way OTT IMO)
example is JISC Content (http://www.jisc-content.ac.uk/).

Just my 2 Euro's worth. Feel free to ignore.

Fred