[Xerte] ANN: Xpert Image Search and Attribution

Patrick Lockley Patrick.Lockley at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 12:58:14 BST 2010

would be more useful with browse facilities IMO
How would you like to browse?

What does Xerte Image Search offer that these don't?
I'm assuming you didn't click on the select tab

Because

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xpert/attribution/pictureattrib/mangle.php?u
rl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Urtica-dioica(Blue
ten).jpg&original_url=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Urtica-dioi
ca(Blueten).jpg&license=wikipedia&flickr_id=null&size=full

and

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe
dia/commons/8/87/Urtica-dioica(Blueten).jpg&imgrefurl=http://ru.wikipedi
a.org/wiki/%25D0%25A4%25D0%25B0%25D0%25B9%25D0%25BB:Urtica-dioica(Bluete
n).jpg&usg=__Tlh58h17jZoxi-nis6ChuSF0isE=&h=1075&w=1434&sz=188&hl=en&sta
rt=0&zoom=0&tbnid=Snel7lRPcL7KeM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3DU
rtica-dioica(Blueten)%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D820
%26gbv%3D2%26prmdo%3D1%26as_st%3Dy%26tbs%3Disch:1,iur:f&itbs=1&iact=hc&v
px=188&vpy=160&dur=1094&hovh=112&hovw=150&tx=91&ty=71&ei=ftWETOnDCImHswa
qlMCaBQ&oei=ftWETOnDCImHswaqlMCaBQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=3&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:
0

are quite different. This difference is what it offers, as well as
providing powerpoint files and code for embedding into blogs. No other
service provides this.

The site also searches videos and podcasts from one location, which
images.google or flickr doesn't do.

Behind the typically spartan interface what goodies lurk?
What would you like it to do?

Or has this been developed specifically for integration into Toolkits,
to allow
authors/developers to find media in the Toolkits environment?
Or both. It does both. When you access it via toolkits it sets up a
service to allow you to send your picture back directly without having
to download it locally. Outside to toolkits it offers different services
so it is contextually aware.

I'm curious as to how this was implemented. OAI-PMH? RSS?
It's a mixture of RSS,OAI,external API,Screen scrapping,RDF,OAI-ORE and
lightweight web services.