[Xerte] ANN: Xpert Image Search and Attribution

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 16:20:59 BST 2010

Hi,

We've just finished a piece of work that will make it easier for you to
search for media released under licenses for re-use and to attribute it
correctly. I know some of you on the Xerte for Teachers list were
discussing this very problem recently, so hopefully this is timely!

To see it in action:

-          Visit http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xpert/attribution/

-          Search for something

-          When you get the results, click 'Select'

-          Then choose 'Get Image with Attribution' or choose the
toolkits option

-          And you'll get the image back, with license information
included across the bottom of the image and can happily reuse it knowing
the image is suitable for re-use.

We' have also integrated this into Xerte Online Toolkits, allowing you
to search, browse and select media for your Xerte Online Toolkits
projects directly from the Toolkits wizard. A toolkits update will
follow in due course: here's a demo for the meantime:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte/media/imagefinder.swf

Please join me in a collective doffing of caps to Pat for all his work
on this latest development.

We're showing it at ALT-C next week and will explain a  bit more about
what we were setting out to do, and the problems and pitfalls we've
encountered along the way: the session is on Tuesday 7th September at
14.50: http://altc2010.alt.ac.uk/talks/14982