[Xerte] Camtasia Studio

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 09:55:02 BST 2010

Thanks Elly.

-----Original Message-----
From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk [mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Elly Langewis
Sent: 20 October 2010 16:13
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: Re: [Xerte] Camtasia Studio

Hi Julian,

Here some experiences. At the study of Medicine in Utrecht they want
teachers to use Camtasia to record their lectures. They tried that for
several years but it never got accepted much. In medicine the teachers
are for a part med. doctors, who only give one or two lectures, and do
not want to spend much time with anything else. Camtasia is installed
on the pc's in the lecture rooms, and can be easily started from
within PowerPoint. The microphone for the room also feeds back to the
computer, so no extra mic is needed. The presentation is saved on a
standard partition, so it is really very easy. It did not get used
because there was no support and nobody to actively seeto it the
lectures got recorded.
This year they made me responsible for the recording of the lecturers
(voicerecorers, Camtasia and Mediasite), so now I am persuading
teachers to press the 'Record'-button at the start of their lecture. I
will then process the recording and put it somewhere in Blackboard
(Vista). Most teachers do not have the account to upload in BB, nor
time to process the recording. I am hoping that when most ofthe
lectures get recorded this way some teachers will want to do it
themselves, or think it is normal to do it yourself, and some
coordinators will rise to the occasion and start supporting Camtasia
for their teachers, so my task will get easier. I'veseen it happen
with use of the voicerecorder, where before I had to be presnt at
every lecture, and now teachers pass the recorder over to each other
and do it all themselves. I suspect that will happen in 1 or 2 years,
but not for all lectures. Someone of the staff will still be needed.
Problems arise when people bring their own (apple) laptops, which is
happening more and more. Then I have to combine audio and slides
afterwards in Camtasia.,
In the meantime you have to think about storage: we collect all
recordings in a simple structure so we can find every lecture based on
date and teacher if neccessary. I'm afraid if teachers are left to do
that themselves the lectures will be lost: accidentally erased by the
teacher, or because the teacher has left the institute and all
material is lost.

HTH,

Elly

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Julian Tenney
<Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hiya,
>

> Does anyone here have experience using Camtasia Studio? Does anyone have any
> experiences of teaching staff using Camtasia Studio? We're looking at it,
> and I'm playing around a little bit. I wonder if this is a tool that
> teaching staff can use:
>

> -          Unaided
>
> -          Can use with a bit of training
>
> -          Can use with ongoing training and support
>
> -          Cannot use, as it's too complicated
>

> Thanks,

> error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not
> attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do

> error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not
> attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do

Elly Langewis
courseware developer
Department of Biology
Utrecht University