[Xerte] Xerte Friday next week on using Xerte with RSS feeds

Alistair McNaught Alistair.McNaught at HEAcademy.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 17:47:07 BST 2010

Hi all

Pat Lockley and Ron Mitchell will be leading the next Xerte Friday
session on RSS feeds. This is billed as a technical session but in
reality technical folk will be familiar enough with RSS but not
necessarily how to advise teachers to use it while teachers will be
excited by possible teaching uses if they only understood what it was
and does. Consequently we think this next Xerte session on Fri 29th at
1pm will be ideal for technical and teaching staff to attend together if
possible. We plan to cover the following:

RSS feeds allow you to automatically gather content into a Xerte
Learning Object and also automatically alert learners when content
updates. It also allows different installations to dynamically share
content using:
Sitewide RSS feed - anyone can view your content - ideal for sharing for
consumption only - eg for marketing and awareness raising.
Syndication feed - anyone can view your content and repurpose it for
their own needs - ideal for collaborative evolution of courses etc.

Using external rss feeds with the main xot template rss page to create a
dynamically updated Xerte object.

Automatic feeds on normal Xerte objects, using the Properties panel
Using the sitewide RSS feed
Using your own individual feeds
Using your own folder feeds
The sitewide syndication feed
The sitewide export feed

Creating your own RSS feeds using the The RSS Feed template -
Using the feed template to make a course
Using the feed template to distribute resources

Additional benefits
Using xot to display rss feeds in moodle topic area
Updating learners automatically via Outlook or any other RSS feed
reader.

Look forward to seeing you

Alistair

Alistair McNaught

Senior Advisor

JISC TechDis

C/O The Higher Education Academy Building

Innovation Way

York Science Park

YORK

YO10 5BR

07870567659

Skype: alistair_techdis

www.techdis.ac.uk

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131