[Xerte] Xerte and Flash security

Dave Burnett d_b_burnett at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 17:30:13 BST 2010

Pat, see my post about having been down this road.

All this thrashing about is due to the fluky chance that a client sent me some XML to test with a hyphen in an element tag.
Hyphens are perfectly XML legal AFAIK.
I kept getting NaN back when I tried to access via dot notation anything  within that tag set.

Now the easy answer is of course, change the tag. But when you do dynamic engines and don't know in the long run what someone might try to run through there, it can't be considered best practice ;-)

So I thought, OK, maybe the XML has to come URL encoded, and using FileLocation doesn't give me that.
So I tried to serve the XML off my server, and now I've run into the sendAndLoad vs Loadvars problem.

Anyway, I tested in a dummy file using Loadvars to the XML on my server, and elements with a hyphen still return NaN when access is attempted.