[Xerte] basic requirement

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 13 10:30:21 BST 2010

Xerte comes with a project template called "Page Templates". This defines a
large number of page layouts which you can use without any knowledge of
scripting. However if you use the Page Templates project wide template you
will find it difficult to create any page layouts that are not available in
the project template. Nor will you find it easy to modify the existing
templates if they lack features you require.

If you use Xerte On-line toolkits you will get the same set of page
templates. So either route could offer you a solution that requires no
scripting.

There is however another option.

Download the page wizards. Details and access to download them are available
from the Xerte wiki. Page wizards are individual page templates that can be
used in the Xerte editor, so that you have the best of both worlds - pre
built page layouts and full access to the Xerte icon based editing
environment.

Further when you use a page wizard the full structure of the page is loaded
into the Xerte project tree so that you can examine how it is made up. This
is an excellent way of learning some scripting if you would like to do that.

Also there are a number of page wizards that provide page types that are not
available in either on-line toolkits or the page templates project wide
template. These include some routed pages. Routed pages allow you to define
exit points from the page that take you to other pages in the project.

If you need to be able to do things in your project that can not be achieved
by the existing pages defined in either the page templates project wide
template or the page wizards, then you are going to have to learn a little
scripting. IMHO the easiest way to do this is to take a look at some of the
page wizards.

Kind regards

Johnathan