[Xerte] Images types supported / narration comments

KnowledgeWare knowledgeware at kccsoft.com
Mon Nov 22 20:09:55 GMT 2010

Thanks Mr. Mitchell re images.

Testing in toolkits 1.5 on IIS server (not linux) with a more or less custom
template - I find that the 'narration' feature will not appear on the 'plain
text' or 'summary' pages. It does appear and work normally on the following
types: Title page, column, graphics page, image viewer, slideshow, m/c
questions, quiz (which are the ones in my custom template).

Question re narration formats: mp3 and wav are the only two types supported,
correct?

I was confused by both 'Narration' and 'Sound' options on some pages. The
'Sound' feature, when added to a page, shows up directly under the image on
the page, so I'm assuming it is 'text narration' for the image. In this
case, to me it would be better named as 'image narration' so it is obvious
what it does, but perhaps I'm not correct on this.

I initially assumed 'sound' was background sound, etc. or a type of sound
that can synched to a slideshow, etc.

The text to speech engine does work well (now that I've read Julian's post
on how to configure it!). One suggestion here - I understand the
'accessibility' issues but it would be more useful in general I think if it
would only read text blocks on a page, not all the objects (text font, text
size, etc. etc.).

Thanks!

RonM2