[Xerte] Issues with Online Toolkits /Xerte with quiz

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 10:03:28 GMT 2010

The page needs to reset when a theme is changed because all the element need to be redrawn using the new colours. I don't know up front what elements a page has and whether they are part of the display or not. There are two options:

-          Reset the page and let the parser redraw everything by resetting the page;

-          Keep track of all current elements and redraw them one by one without redrawing the page.

The second options is much more difficult, especially when you think about handling 'any' interactivity, possibly many levels deep, with custom items drawn by the developer using the default colours for the current theme. Keeping track of that is a nightmare, and would probably involve the developer in signalling which interface items needed to be redrawn, and how.

It is much easier to reset the page. The best thing I can do is to add a prompt 'Changing the theme will reset the page. Do you want to continue...?'

In the two years the software's been out there, this is the first time the issue has surfaced, so I don't think it's a major problem,