[Xerte] Attn.: Johnathan Kemp; RE: Page Wizards

johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Thu May 6 13:39:54 BST 2010

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here.

I am ONLY referring to the files that are added by a page wizard and are saved in the folder you create when you add a page based on a page wizard.

I have just performed a simple test and renamed the rlm and xwd files for a wizard based page.

If you only rename the .rlm file then the wizard will continue to work and you can preview the project and the page which operates correctly.

If you rename the xwd file then you can preview the project and the page, but if you try to open the wizard Xerte will close it's window - the same effect you get if you have an incorrect templateData path value.

I have tested this after publishing a project (but not packaging it for scorm), so it may be that scorm packaging has different requirements.

I noticed when developing new wizards that any changes you made to the pages icon structure were not copied through to the pages .rlm file, which clued me in to the fact that they were only used in the initial creation of the page from the page wizard.

But let me stress again
1. I have not tested this in a scorm packaged project
2. Any benefits achieved through deleting these files in reducing the projects size is going to be minimal. The .rlm files tend to be the biggest, some are over 20K, but the xwd files are generally no more than 2 or 3k and the loss of editing capability would suggest there is little to be gained by deleting them.
3. I am not advocating deletion of any files that are not added as the result of using a page wizard.

Kind regards

Johnathan