[Xerte] Support for learning programming XERTE

johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 26 17:38:16 GMT 2010

You might find the information on page wizards in the Xerte wiki interesting.

If you follow the instructions there and download the page wizards, you will then be able to create pages based on the wizards.

Because the page wizards are used in the standard desktop Xerte environment you can see their full structure, all the icons used, all the script used. You are then free to alter the structure and change the code. Each page wizard is effectively a complete worked example, including the .rml file that defines the icon structure, the .xml file to contain the data for the page and the .xwd file to define the wizard form which is used to define the xml data.

If you look at some of the simple page wizards e.g. the title page, you will quickly get a feel for the basic structure of a page wizard. The multiple choice question page wizard provides a good example of a simple interaction. Having looked at the multiple choice question wizard you can then look at how this can be expanded to provide a wizard that defines a whole quiz, by looking at the quiz wizard.

There is a page wizard to duplicate the functionaligy of every page type currently available in the page templates project wide template - unless the Xerte Team have released any new ones in the last couple of weeks.

The Action Script used by Xerte 2.n is Action Script 2. So you may find features available in the Action Script used by Adobe CS4 that are not available to Xerte 2.n

Kind regards

Johnathan