[Xerte] Interface Volume Control ->awider considerationofnavigation in Xerte

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 14:48:11 GMT 2010

How many dimensions to the branching are there?

What I mean is can you branch, then branch again and so on, or do you
branch and then return to the linear flow: a bit like:

Answer this question: if badly wrong goto A; if slightly wrong goto B;
if mostly right goto C, etc. From A B C you return to the main linear
flow. That is manageable.

When you have n dimensions, it is not manageable easily, but an
interesting programming problem. I think in the past I've tackled it by
storing the branching structure as a tree, and then essentially
recursing it. You can store a tree as an array of objects with id and
parentID properties; parsing the array you can build the tree. Each node
on the tree presents interactivity that results in moving to one it it's
'children'; then you can decide whether to move to the next node, etc,
or have some other logic decide where to branch to. This means you can
manage the interactivity with one big long linear framework, which is
convenient.