[Xerte] Xerte, flash and investing my time

Mark Gray mark at bodyworkskills.eu
Fri Jun 25 21:00:49 BST 2010

Hello all, I have a question.

I've just taken voluntary redundancy from my university. I'm currently half way through a masters in Blended and Online Education (Napier, Edinburgh). I've been playing with xerte online toolkits for some time now and really like it, but haven't really got to grips with xerte.exe as my actionscript knowledge is negligible. I am fairly competent in html, css and understand what xml is.

Anyway my question is this, I am about to invest a large amount of my time in developing some key skills for working with online learning and I am very drawn to the flexibility of xerte, but, given that it is flash based do you see a long term future for it?

I ask this in the light of the iPad and Apples move away from flash and the emergence of html 5 and javascript's ever increasing capacity. I've looked at the OpenLaszlo project <http://www.openlaszlo.org/> where applications are complied in either flash or dhtml and this seems like a smart approach, could xerte move in this direction?

Sorry that was two questions : )

Thanks

Mark