[Xerte] Adding from other applications

Paul Swanson Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
Thu Jan 28 16:29:16 GMT 2010

I know I've used the Unicode characters before by typing them into a
text icon, but know I either get the string of the Unicode value, or
'undefined'. But if I add them to an array, I can use them by
referencing the array index.

I've got an array set up with most of the HTML entities, using the
entity as the index and the Unicode equivalent as the value. Partial
sample:

// create array with HTML entities as the key and the unicode equivalent
as the value

HTMLentities = Array();

HTMLentities[" "]   = "\u00A0"; // non-breaking space

HTMLentities["¡"]  = "\u00A1"; // inverted exclamation mark

HTMLentities["¢"]   = "\u00A2"; // cent sign

HTMLentities["£"]  = "\u00A3"; // pound sign

HTMLentities["¤"] = "\u00A4"; // currency sign

HTMLentities["¥"]    = "\u00A5"; // yen sign

HTMLentities["€"]   = "\u20AC"; // Euro sign

HTMLentities["¦"] = "\u00A6"; // broken vertical bar (|)

HTMLentities["§"]   = "\u00A7"; // section sign

HTMLentities["¨"]    = "\u00A8"; // diaeresis

HTMLentities["©"]   = "\u00A9"; // copyright sign

HTMLentities["®"]    = "\u00AE"; // registered sign

HTMLentities["™"]  = "\u2122"; // trademark sign

HTMLentities["°"]    = "\u00B0"; // degree sign

With this, I can display the registered trademark symbol with {'<p>Buy
SuperWidget' + HTMLentities['&reg;'] + ' today!</p>'}. But {'<p>Buy
SuperWidget' + \u00AE + ' today!</p>'} gives me 'undefined', which seems
goofy. Seems like those should be the same thing.