[Xerte] Adding from other applications

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 10:26:19 GMT 2010

There's an example, with all the interactions at:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczjrt/mediaInteractions/

The general idea is that this is a lesson, something like 'At the
Shops'. The lesson graphic is something relevant to shopping, and then
either a sound or video of a shopping scenario are used as the media.

The transcript is synched to the media playback with markup like this:

<chunk s="3" e="6">here is  a chunk of transcript</chunk>

The user progresses through the interactions. A couple of them use the
chunks from the transcript (work order and dictation). We need to make a
tool to make it easier to chunk up the transcript - this is currently
tedious.

The author can set a language - this dermines the characters shown in
the character pad when the end user is typing into a textfield, and
gives them access to the special characters for that language. Press
shift for upper case.

Feedback, and ideas for other interactions are welcome - I'd very much
like this to be a community effort. Toolkits is getting installed in
more and more places now, and I can see that a few langauge teachers
could very quickly create a critical mass of content and share it via
xpert.