[Xerte] Xerte Online Toolkit - Setup Errors

Tom Sliker tsliker at sliker.com
Sun Jan 24 13:35:40 GMT 2010

I'm getting errors when I get to Page 3 of the setup process for the Online
Toolkit.

Maybe the issues relate to my lack of knowledge of MySQL.  I am hosting at
BlueHost.

Via CPanel I go to MySQL Databases and see there is a database with:
name: brucesne_xerte
users:  brucesne_bruce and brucesne_xerte  (both have ALL privileges)

I've tried letting the wizard create the database and tried creating an
empty one myself.  For this attempt I have an empty database

I run the Setup wizard at http://www.brucesnell.com/xerte/setup/

   - I chose Full Install
   - I believe my installation meets all the requirements
   - On page 1 (DB Creation) I enter:
      - host: localhost
      - user:  brucesne_bruce
      - password: [the correct password]
      - db name:  brucesne_xerte
      - prefix:  [left blank]
   - Page 2 says db successfully created.  At this page I enter:
      - user: brucesne_bruce   [in other attempts I also tried just bruce]
      - pw:  [the correct passsword]
   - On Page 3:
      - I leave all defaults except for admin user and password.  For this I
      use the same account for Cpanel login:
      - admin:  brucesne
      - pw:  correct password

I get the dreaded "No Database Selected" error.  Here's an example:
*The sitedetails site ID query insert into sitedetails(site_id) VALUES (
"1") has failed due to No database selected
The sitedetails site url query update sitedetails set site_url="
http://www.brucesnell.com/xerte/" where site_id="1" has failed due to No
database selected
The sitedetails apache query update sitedetails set apache="false" where
site_id="1" has failed due to No database selected
The sitedetails apache query update sitedetails set apache="false" where
site_id="1" has failed due to No database selected
The sitedetails mimetypes query update sitedetails set
mimetypes="text/xml,application/msword,application/x-shockwave-flash,image/jpeg,image/pjpeg,image/png,image/gif,image/x-png,audio/mpeg,application/vnd.ms-excel,application/pdf,application/vnd.ms-powerpoint,video/x-ms-wmv,text/html,video/mp4,video/avi,audio/wav,text/plain,video/quicktime"
where site_id="1" has failed due to No database selected*
*[it goes on for quite a bit longer.]*

I believe the security on the folders is set correctly to 777.
Database.php in the root of xerte folder includes the following:
<?PHP /**
*
* database page, has the settings for database connection
*
* @author Patrick Lockley
* @version 1.0
* @copyright Copyright (c) 2008,2009 University of Nottingham
* @package
*/
/*
* Host where database is
*/
$xerte_toolkits_site->database_host = "localhost";
/*
* Username for database
*/
$xerte_toolkits_site->database_username ="brucesne_bruce";
/*
* Password for database
*/
$xerte_toolkits_site->database_password ="[correct password]";
/*
* Database name
*/
$xerte_toolkits_site->database_name ="xerte";
/*
* Database table prefix
*/
$xerte_toolkits_site->database_table_prefix ="";
?>

Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks,

Tom Sliker