[Xerte] Video in a gap fill

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 23 11:38:56 GMT 2010

If the video is relevant to every gapFill page then putting it in the
entryFrame may be a better performing solution as it is only references once
in the project.

I took a quick look at the gapFill Page Wizard and how it works. The scroll
bar is displaying at the height of the passage Text Icon as defined in its
properties, but since the content of the icon (the id of which is mainText,
though its title is passage) is being created on the fly after the text icon
has loaded, it is not being constrained by the height of the Text Icon.

It may be possible to redefine the height of mainText in the makeInteraction
script, after the variable str has been populated with the text, though I
haven't tested the effect of doing this.

Alternatively it may be better to remove the {str}  value in the passage
text icon's text property and to call mainText.setText() to set the value of
the text icon's text property.

I don't have the time right now to try these options out but they may give
you some ideas of what you could try for yourself.

The Gap Fill page works by splitting the text into individual words, so the
longer the text the longer the page takes to load. So the better solution
may be to edit the video into a series of meaningful shorter videos and
display them in sequence in a series of gapFill pages in which the gapFill
exercise relates to the section of the video that is displayed on that page.

Kind regards

Johnathan