[Xerte] [Xerte 2] Issues whilst updating page wizards to incorporate recent changes to pageTemplates rlm files

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 25 14:07:11 BST 2010

Hello Julian,

I downloaded the latest Xerte 2 in July and have been working on the updates
to the rlm files to create new page wizards for Links and MorphImages.

I have hit a few issues with some of the pages. Blue items are issues that
you may wish to look at in the pageTemplates version, Red issues are
currently preventing me from releasing an updated wizard so any help you can
offer would be most appreciated. Green issues are requests for features.

*Links*

   - The pageTemplates version xml needs changing as it sets the default
   height of the links to "medium" but the code uses numerical values. This
   corrects itself when you change the height in the wizard but the default xml
   needs to replace the height value of "medium" with "80".
   - There appears to be a bug in the links template. Create a new links
   page and make it the second page in your project. Leave the default column
   setting of 3 and add one link. At this point you can preview and go back and
   forward between pages 1 and 2 without problem. Now open the Link page wizard
   and add a second link. Then preview the project and go back and forward
   between pages 1 and 2. You should now see a third undefined link displayed,
   which is not reflected in the xml. Add a fourth column and you should be
   able to generate a fourth undefined link by going back and forward between
   pages 1 and 2.
   - I figured out how to add a style sheet to a project so that the links
   would show as underlined. However I note that in the Xerte page templates
   projects there are two style sheets in the common folder "styles.css" and
   "wikistyles.css". Is there a way by which a Xerte project can consume more
   than one css file?

*MorphImage*

   - The pagetemplates version fails to display tooltips - there is an
   incorrect reference on the image icons and no tooltip property in the
   wizard.
   - I have modified the Page Wizard version to provide for specification of
   tooltips for image 1 and image 2 and to also allow images to extend to fill
   more of the page if it is a larger image. (maxWidth to 600 in calculate
   script attached to onLoadGraphic1 so as to allow more space for larger
   pictures, also I reduced the height of the text icon with id of "textBlock"
   to 440 as otherwise a large amount of text can displace the Zoom buttons
   position onto the bottom configuration selections.

*Categories*

   - This no longer makes any use of labelHeight so this can be removed from
   the xwd and xml files.

*ColumnPage*

   - Not sure what the two lines of changes are intended to do (lines 63 and
   64). The page still appears to have a problem with sizing the text area of
   the column so that pictures remain on screen and the text auto scrolls
   within the remaining space available for the text. I tried to find create a
   fix for this but ended up with text areas that fitted the available space
   but the displayed text font size had shrunk to enable the text to all fit
   in, rather than auto scrolling.

*GapFill*

   - This page appears to present feedback inconsistently when in drag and
   drop mode. I found this to also be an issue with the previous version of the
   rml when I went back to test it. In the drag and drop mode feedback is
   sometimes displayed on partial completion of the exercise, or may be
   displayed only then to disappear. I also found that sometimes with the new
   model the word would become displaced from the mouse pointer, but still
   being dragged around. I think this happened when it somehow got reattached
   to the mouse pointer whilst returning to its start position after an
   incorrect drop. I could not duplicate this in the earlier version of the
   rml.
   - When in fill in gap mode It would also be helpful if there was some way
   out of the exercise i.e. a way of giving up and seeing the correct answers.
   Currently you just keep making guesses.

Kind regards

Johnathan