[Xerte] Change the global look custom look example files

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 10:46:15 BST 2010

Hi Julian

thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I wanted an example for some support
material (video tutorials) covering XOT not Xerte, but for now I've just
indicated that this would be a topic for a future tutorial. However I'd be
keen to understand how to get a custom interface to work with XOT via the
optional property. I know this can be done with Xerte but I'm trying to work
out how this can be done with XOT with the standard XOT template. Three
questions/issues in particular...

1. If I import a swf based on an adapted version of framework.fla I can get
the navigation and TOC buttons to work but as soon as I import a custom
interface the background of the LO is either gray (if the swf doesn't have a
background) or is whatever the swf contains but obscuring any XOT content.
How is this meant to work is there a line of code to make the inteface swf
the lowest/root level?

2. framework.swf obviously contains the actionscript to enable the 3 buttons
in framework.fla to work but where can we also access the code to replicate
the other interface items e.g. colour scheme, display mode etc

3. I know you're happy with the built-in interface which is great especially
with all the accessibility features. But clearly some people are looking to
create and use custom interfaces to match styles/branding etc beyond what
can be done with css and it would be a real shame if those customisations
lost all the accessibility features. It would be great to have a
custom_interface.fla with buttons and controls similar to those in the
default interface and also notes on how that could be used with XOT. I know
this is sort of blurring the boundaries between Xerte and XOT but I think
there are lots of colleges and universities that are very happy with XOT and
the templates available and would like to tweak the interface without having
to use or create a separate template.

Cheers

Ron