[Xerte] structuring LO's needing a topic hierarchy

johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 26 20:27:10 BST 2010

A router template sounds like a good idea. It could be really useful to be able to create a number of separate learning objects and to then be able to combine them into a variety of different courses. A course being defined by the router template(s) and the learning objects they called. This would facilitate the re-use of learning objects.

However I can also imagine situations in which branching is desirable within a learning object. Which is why I created the Routed Tabbed Navigation page wizard, and am also working on a few more routed page wizards.

If the router template could also receive as an alternative to a learning object url the name of a page in the current learning object, then it could do double duty, both as a hub for learning objects and as a router within a learning object. If it was flexible, as you suggest it could be, in the ways it presented the options, then it could save me the trouble of creating a variety of Routed Page Wizards :-) (I am assuming that it would be possible to convert it once the template was available to a page wizard).

I appreciate that routing within a learning object presents some navigation issues. Linear sections require Next and Previous buttons, whilst these buttons are not always appropriate where routing is being used. Rather a Home button and a Back button based on a LIFO queue may then be preferable. For example I used the Routed Tab Navigator to set up a simple tree structured expert system type learning object, in which every page was based on the Routed Tab Navigator. Previous and Next are then irrelevant but Home and Back become critical.

The problems arise when you combine sequences and routed sections within one learning object. Maybe the solution is to include the sequenced sections as framework pages with next and previous navigation added on the frameworks Entry Frame and have Home and Back buttons as part of the main navigation.

Creating the template as a separate template would limit it to being a hub for other learning objects. Including it in the Page Templates project wide template would give it the potential to be used within a project.

So any chance of including the capability to route to pages as well as learning objects? If so what might the chances be of offering optional Home and Back buttons on the Xerte Navigation?

Kind regards

Johnathan