[Xerte] structuring LO's needing a topic hierarchy

johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 24 17:25:48 BST 2010

Alan,

I notice that you refer to the routed tab navigator page wizard.

This wizard is thus far the only page wizard that offers routing from the page i.e. the ability to assign destination pages or exit points to features on the page (in this wizard's case radio buttons). However it is limited in what you can display within a tab, i.e. you can include text, an image or a flashPaper document or a swf, but you can't include features such as multiple choice questions, hotspots etc. With respect to swfs that can be included on a tab, this includes Wink generated swfs. Wink (just incase you have not come across it) is a free application that performs screen capture and is well suited to rapidly develop demonstrations of software applications).

If you want to use the features offered by the many other page wizards you would need to design your project around one or more hub pages based on routed tab navigator based pages, the exit options from which would take you to the first page in a series of pages that dealt with that particular topic.

I will be releasing soon three more routed page wizards that could offer you alternative formats for hub pages. These are :-

Routed Plain Text - which allows you to add hyperlinks to other pages in your Xerte learning object.
Routed Hot Spot - based on the Hot Spot page, but the hot spots when clicked take you to the destination page specified for the hot spot.
Routed Multiple Choice Question - based on the multiple choice question page wizard. You specify a question and a number of answers. When you select an answer you are taken to the destination page for that answer.

These should give you some further options for hub pages, but they will not be available for a few days, so I am unsure whether this will meet your current time scales.

You may also be interested in the simpleNavigation model that was developed for use with routed pages. It uses a simple swf based button, so you could easily customise the presentation to suite your project, but it includes options for home page and a Last In First Out queue based back button that may be more appropriate if your project offers a variety of routes.

I don't know if this is of help.

Kind regards

Johnathan