[Xerte] Interface icon - display mode

Peter Snowball southman at internode.on.net
Sat Apr 17 13:10:13 BST 2010

I've recently completed four modules in Xerte and this would not have
been possible without help from this forum so thanks very much.  I have
used page PageWizard's, manually added icons and a tiny bit of script
with divers content from diverse sources and the end result is terrific
so thanks to the Xerte team.

One issue that it would not go away however has been the problem of the
display mode in the interface icon. When I evaluated adding Ispring into
Xerte I came to the conclusion that if I included the ISpring player the
display mode became unstable. By unstable I mean that when a user
selects a display size different from default eg: larger - the resultant
size of the player was such that all the controls disappeared from view
and they could not recover the display without reloading the learning
object. See [Xerte] Ispring SWF - full screen issues

Because I work on multiple operating systems and in different browsers I
thought that the problem was I spring but my most recent testing with
two simple pages with one text icon  tends to show that it is the xerte
player that has different behavior in different operating systems and
browser combination -irrespective of the what other content you may add.

These issues are not related using PageWizards as my by testing was with
a simple Xerte player 2.1 and a couple of basic pages with the following
combination of both Firefox and Internet Explorer on the following
operating systems:

    Vista
    Windows XP -- eee PC
    Windows XP -- several Tasmanian government computers with  highly
    controlled policy settings deployed centrally.

Windows XP consistently gives gives the worst outcomes whereas Vista
gives the best but far from perfect outcomes.  My concern is here is am
I doing something fundamentally incorrect in setting up Xerte or can
others replicate this behavior.

As i work around I placed a warning not use the display mode control in
my "how to use the player" rlo - a better work around would be to
disable it through the property settings in the interface icon as the
default setting appears stable in all conditions.

--
Peter Snowball
Dept Of Economic Development