[Xerte] Re-using .rlm model files and extracts from template.xwd in Xerte - in search of the best of both worlds

Johnathan Kemp johnathan.kemp at cxstaffs.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 15:15:19 BST 2009

Hello Julian,

I just realised that my earlier response did not go to the mail list and
that you would probably prefer to keep the discussion on the list.

Since this has now moved way off the original topic about importing
graphics and preserving aspect ratios I thought it might be appropriate
to start a new thread.

I have made some progress - successfully consuming a slightly modified
title.rlm file so that in Xerte I can use the model and benefit from a
wizard based form to set the page properties, whilst still being able to
have the full power of Xerte available.

If any one else wants to try this out

1.
	Create a title.xwd file from the pageTemplates xwd file -
extracting just the bit for <title> to </title> beyond the first block
that defines the menu system.
2.
	Use the xwd file as a guide to create the title.xml file.
3.
	Open a new Xerte project
4.
	Save title.xwd and title.xml in the root of the project.
5.
	File / Insert model to load the title.rlm file into Xerte (from
any xerte pageTemplate based project) - (I copy the whole models and
common folders into my new project folder)
6.
	Inserting the model should create a new page in Xerte.
7.
	Set the pages templateData property to FileLocation +
'title.xml' (setting the templateData property will cause Xerte to look
for a .xwd file of the same name).
8.
	You will need to edit the .rlm scripts in xerte - the key change
appears to be to change
9.
	//myXML = new
XML(extXML.firstChild.childNodes[rootIcon.getPageIndex() - pgOffset]);
	//pageIcon.templateData = myXML.toObject();
	pageIcon.templateData = pageIcon.extXML.toObject(); // you can
then access xml file based properties with
pageIcon.templateData.title[0].propertyName
10.
	Some other bits to note
11.
	Each time you use the model in a page you will need a separate
xml and xwd file e.g. title1.xml and title1.xwd, title2.xml and
title2.xwd etc.
12.
	The .rlm files are modified so they need saving in a different
folder to the core files stored in the models folder
13.
	To get narration working I think you will need the
narrationHandler interaction which is available in any pageTemplates
based Xerte project.
14.
	I have started with a simple template - I now need to see if I
can get a more compicated one - e.g. the mcq.rlm to work this way. If I
can this is definitely looks the way to go to get the best of both
worlds - Xerte + pages with Template interfaces in one environment.

It would have been elegant to have been able to create a page and call
the model by setting the pages model property to the location of the
.rlm file.
Unfortunately when you click on a page to open its interface it also
opens another Xerte window in which the model is opened. This has a
further knock on effect in that the debug window stops working, probably
because two copies of Xerte have been open at the same time.

Thanks once again for your help with this :-)

I will post again to let everyone know how things progress with the
mcq.rlm file.

Kind regards

Johnathan

Johnathan Kemp