[Xerte] Xerte 3 examples

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 13:14:35 BST 2009

I have these moments at home when decorating. I've just got the
undercoat on, and the wife comes in and mutters something about not
liking that very much and how it all looked so different in the shop,
and maybe we should choose another colour - and I'm only ten minutes
into it anyway and the top coat is still in the tin, but I can't get a
word in edgeways to get a word in and tell her it's not finished yet for
crying out loud, and it will look lovely when it's finished. Sheesh...

These are early days. Do not panic. We will be able to do even more
wonderful things with the new technology.

The accessibility in the flex framework is much much much better than
the old Flash Player 8 stuff. Try using the keyboard in the samples. Try
sliding the sliders with the arrow keys, see how the tab order has been
automcatically set (none of my code here at all). Keyboard control is
MUCH MUCH better without having to do anything.

Fluid interfaces based on percentages rather than absolute widths and
heights make content run on many more devices satisfactorily than
before.

All the other stuff we built into the engine in Xerte can more easily be
done in the new framework.

It will be MUCH easier for people to build much more accessible custom
interfaces than was previously possible without a lot of faffing around.

So, I would say we would aim to make any new tools at least as acessible
as the old ones, and probably a lot more so.