[Xerte] Page Templates - Interface Customization

Dave Burnett d_b_burnett at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:58:33 BST 2009

> I can definitely try that change to the button, but what concerns me more is when I attempt to pull rootIcon.CurrentPage to a dynamic text box, I get an "undefined" value. Seems like my .swf can't find the "rootIcon"...

It helped me with the swf relationship structure when I started to think of it like a directory tree on a hard drive.

If you have any programming background, you know that C:\ is also referred to as "root".
So if you think of the Xerte engine swf as "root", (rootIcon), loading a swf into it is like creating another directory in C:\ or root.
So now I have C:\my_swf.

To have my_swf talk to anything in root, I have to add a direction to look "up" a folder in the directory tree.
In DOS I would use ../my_swf, the ".." being shorthand for saying "look up a directory from 'my_swf'", or "look in my parent directory".

Same as a loaded swf.
You have to tell the swf to look "up" a directory from where it is (this), to it's parent (this._parent)

So if my_swf loads another swf, it's like creating another directory and another level in the tree:

C:\my_swf\swf_loaded_by_my_swf
Another layer of depth in the tree, so for swf_loaded_by_my_swf to talk to root, look up 2 directories:

this._parent._parent

HTH

Dave