[Xerte] Text Entry Hints

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 23 15:58:35 GMT 2009

I've got an interaction with a passage of text, and several words
blanked out to make a fill in the blank exercise.

How would you best use a hint to keep the learner on track?

Right now I am checking over the current answer, counting how many
correct characters there are, and then adding the next one.

Trouble is you can just keep banging the 'hint' button and you get shown
the answer eventually, and that's what people willdo: they need to work
out the answer for themselves, but get some help...

Any bright ideas?

Can limit the number of hints per field?
Limit to the first n characters (maybe word.length / 2);
Allow only so may hints for the whole interaction?