[Xerte] FW: Xerte and MoLeTV integration

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 15:16:54 GMT 2009

For reference and information...

-----Original Message-----
Hi Julian,

I recall some time ago you were in discussions with Steve (Butler)
regarding a form of integration between MoLeTV and your excellent
Xerte(!). There were some issues that needed to be addressed and we have
done some work on the system recently that may be of interest to you.

Firstly, we are now able to release the .flv file from the converted
file-set for download. So for users wishing to embed video media within
their learning object they can now download video media (in flv format)
for addition to their learning object.

If I recall correctly, we were talking about a mechanism similar to the
use of YouTube where the Xerte user 'keys in' an identifier for a
particular media upload and the player within Xerte is able to obtain
details of the media item and be able to play it. Since our previous
discussions we have implemented an XML API for this purpose. The API
that we feel would be of use to you is the Package API.

The API is quite simple in use. You obtain as set of data in XML format
by sending a URL in the following format:

http://www.moletv.org.uk/api/package.aspx?<QuickCode>

where <QuickCode> is the unique identifier for the uploaded item. As an
example take a look at http://www.moletv.org.uk/api/package.aspx?XRQ2R

I'll attach the complete schema document to this email for your
reference. Of direct interest is the <payloads> section. For Xerte
you'll be interested in package/payloads/item typeid="1" and typeid="0"
- type "1" is for .flv media and type "0" is for .mp3 audio media.