[Xerte] Authentication

Fred Riley Fred.Riley at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri May 29 16:12:31 BST 2009

This may or may not be relevant, but I've adapted and used the very
good, simple yet secure, session-based PHP/mySQL authentication system
at:

http://phpsense.com/php/php-login-script.html

Note that the user passwords are stored as MD5 hashes in the mySQL
database. A nice touch is that there's a self-registration form to save
you the trouble of creating users manually. I also used a Famous
Internet Search Engine when on the prowl for authentication systems, and
after kissing lots of unsuitable frogs finally find my princess (though
I had to work on her a bit :o)).

Yes, most institutions and companies have LDAP, but as has already been
mentioned you have to cater for external users, plus using LDAP ties you
to a particular workplace. I wanted a system which I could bundle into a
package and use elsewhere if the need arose.

Cheers

Fred

Fred Riley
Learning Technologist
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy, University of Nottingham
Vcard: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nursing/sonet/about/fr_uon.vcf