[Xerte] Configuration of LDAP authentication and the login_library.php file

Johnathan Kemp johnathan.kemp at cxstaffs.co.uk
Tue May 19 12:55:25 BST 2009

Hello Xerte Team,

I now have a Xerte On-line Toolkits site that I can log on to using
LDAP, but I had some fun getting it set up and would like to clarify a
couple of things.

In the site setup I have set up a single ldap host, however I would like
to have three, would the correct syntax be

999.999.999.999\n999.999.999.999\n999.999.999.999

for this, using the \n as a separator of the IP addresses, rather than a
";" ?

Is it possible to specify more than one ldap base and if so would it be
correct to use "\n" as the separator between bases?

Is there somewhere in the setup that is intended to specify the LDAP
field that will be used in the login process, so that when a username is
entered in the login form it is matched to the correct LDAP field when
checking the user name and password against LDAP? I set "The first LDAP
filter is" box to sAMAccountName but found that the login_library.php
file was using the "dn" field to match against. It was only after
working my way back through the Xerte code that I found out why I could
not log on. I had to edit lines 48 and 171 of login_library.php to use
sAMAccountName rather than dn. Similarly lines 8 and 131 refer to
"givenname" whereas our LDAP field is "givenName" so I had to edit these
as well.

I have to admit I am not sure what your intended use is for the fields
in the set up "The first LDAP filter" and "The second LDAP filter".

How practical would it be to include in the LDAP set up fields for the
LDAP values that will be
a) matched to the user id entered at login
b) used to gather the user first name
c) used to gather the user last name

So that discrepancies between different systems can be accommodated
without the need to edit code?

Or have I misunderstood something?

Kind regards

Johnathan

Johnathan Kemp
IT Dev. Manager
Connexions Staffordshire
www.cxstaffs.co.uk <http://www.cxstaffs.co.uk/>
01785 355714

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity(s) to whom they are addressed. All messages are monitored for virus, high risk files and inappropriate content. As a result users should be aware that this mail maybe accessed, read and the right is reserved to reject, return, remove attachments or delete if considered to be inappropriate or unsuitable. Liability cannot be accepted for any loss or damage arising from this email (or any attachments) or from scripts or any virus transmitted.

This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of Connexions Staffordshire. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately reply to the sender or notify postmaster at cxstaffs.co.uk

Connexions Staffordshire Limited is registered in England No.4355170
Registered office: Foregate House, 70 Foregate Street, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16 2PX