[Xerte] Developer documentation

Fred Riley Fred.Riley at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu May 14 12:30:24 BST 2009

I'd second this request, though wouldn't expect it to be fulfilled as it takes a *lot* of time to write comprehensive technical documentation, particularly on a rapidly evolving application such as Xerte. As a developer, I try to write documentation contemporaneously, mainly for my own benefit so that a year later I can figure out what the £@#! I was doing, but it's hard going and time-consuming. In general, this is a problem with many Open Source applications - it's all very well having the source to hand, but in a complex app with tens/hundreds of source files it's the devil's own task to find out what calls what, when and why, and to get an overview of structure.

Out of curiousity, are the PHP scripts commented with the phpdoc standard? I came across that relatively recently, about a year ago, and it's a big help.

Cheers

Fred

Fred Riley
Learning Technologist
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy, University of Nottingham
Vcard: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nursing/sonet/about/fr_uon.vcf