[Xerte] Developer documentation

Nicola Wilkinson N.Wilkinson at lboro.ac.uk
Thu May 14 11:43:54 BST 2009

Hi,

Here at Loughborough we have an installation working - hence no interest in this area.

As a developer I am interested in the guts of the code, how it hangs together, how I could improve areas and in the long term - if we decide to use xerte, feedback the modifications that we make for our benefit that may help the wider community.

At the moment I am in the process of evaluating the xerte code and the first thing I would want to do is improve the text input. As I am sure that you are aware the bulleted section doesn't really do what it says on the tin. When playing with the tool I expected to create a list and the when viewing it see a nicely bulleted list. But this doesn't happen - with the lack of easily accessible documentation I assumed that I would then need to know HTML, luckily I do, - but if working with a tutor they may not - hence a nicer clearer text input tool bar is really needed. But at the moment looking at the code from the SVN (remember not interested in the .exe installation) I can't see where I would start or how.

Linked to this is the database and the scripts needed to create this. I don't want to go round altering a database that is working with the .exe installed version. I want my own to test/ examine/ change etc - just good development practice - don't work on the production database!

At the moment xerte has too many barriers to developers joining and contributing effectively to the Xerte project. Believe me I know how hard open source is and at the moment although the project is open source it is still quite closed. BTW this is fine and fits with the belevonant dictator model (think Moodle), but if I am struggeling to get started I will not be the only one.

Thanks

Nic

ps sorry if this comes over as a rant!