[Xerte] Installing Toolkits

Rochford, Thomas t.rochford at rsc-eastern.ac.uk
Sun Mar 29 22:05:51 BST 2009

This has worked well for me as far as the install goes and I now have a more
or less usable xampp version, however I have had/am having some problems and
I thought it might be helpful to mention them.

1)      Adobe have issued an upgrade to their Flah Player which doesn't seem
to work with anything including the BBC, let-alone XERTE. If, like me you
took the upgrade trustingly you will need to de-install it using the Prgrams
and Features option in Control Panel and then re-install version 9.159 which
you can download from
 http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=2
Choose 'Flash Player 9' and unzip it somewhere safe and then run
flashplayer9r159_winax.exe within the fp9_archive/9r159 directory. This seems
to restore both Xerte and the BBC to normal working

2)      I still get some errors when trying to edit a project as shown below:
Warning:
copy(C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\toolkits\\USER-FILES/1-guest-Nottingham/data.xml)
[function.copy <http://localhost:8080/toolkits/function.copy> ]: failed to
open stream: No such file or directory in
C:\xampp\htdocs\toolkits\modules\xerte\edit.php on line 46

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod
<http://localhost:8080/toolkits/function.chmod> ]: No error in
C:\xampp\htdocs\toolkits\modules\xerte\edit.php on line 48
This meant I could not edit anything, so I copied across the USER-FILES
directory from an older install and renamed a directory to match and that
seems to have worked although there is nothing in it.

3)      I don't seem to be able to import a previous project. I have tried
saving in both standard .zip format and scorm.zip format, but in both cases
it complains that the templates are not recognised - I get an error message
as follows:
"No valid template equivalent found on this site. Please contact your system
administrators".
Unless I'm doing something really silly, I guess his means that I'm going to
have to re-create all the work I've done under the old templates. I'ld love
to be told I've done something silly!

Anyway thanks to Patrick and Julian for giving me enough optimism to try to
upgrade - maybe it's asking too much to think that I can upgrade the older
projects - they were, after all, made in a 'beta' release.

Kindest Regards,

Thomas

RSCs - Stimulating and Supporting Innovation in Learning

RSC Eastern welcomes feedback on our services via

support at rsc-eastern.ac.uk.

Keep up to date with e-bytes for free

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/e-bytes.html

Thomas Rochford

e:Learning Advisor, Infrastructure & Learning Technologies

JISC Regional Support Centre - Eastern

Anglia Ruskin University, CU House, Southernhay, Basildon, SS14 1EZ

Eml: t.rochford at rsc-eastern.ac.uk

Mob:  07500 669 002

Fax: 01223 563142

Skype: cambridge.serendipity