[Xerte] tutor

Paul Swanson Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
Thu Mar 19 18:19:43 GMT 2009

I believe 2pm GMT is 7am PDT (when on Daylight Savings Time, it's
GMT-7).

Xerte is AS2/Flash8. I use the following site for the AS2 Language
Reference:
http://flash-reference.icod.de/

That is a reference manual, not a tutorial. It won't teach you AS, but
it gives you a description of the properties, methods and events
available in AS2.

Don't be too intimidated by ActionScript. It is very close syntactically
to JavaScript. And for the most part, I get by with the following:

// navigation
myFrameworkOrDecisionIconID.nextPage(); // navigates to next page in
framework or decision
myFrameworkOrDecisionIconID.prevPage(); // navigates to previous page in
framework or decision
myFrameworkOrDecisionIconID.exit(); // exits framework or decision
rootIcon.navigate('lesson1'); // where 'lesson1' is the id of a page
// drop shadow
myGraphicOrTextID.dropShadow(2,45,0x000000,.5); // size, angle, color,
alpha (Range: 0-1)
// and, for drawing arrows
myGraphicID.lineStyle(2,0xff0000,100); // line width, color, alpha
(Range: 0-100)
myGraphicID.beginFill(0xff0000,100);  // color, alpha
myGraphicID.arrowTo(550,100,600,150); // startX, startY, endX, endY
myGraphicID.dropShadow(2,45,0x000000,.8);
// text
myTextIconID.setText('<p>This is a paragraph.</p>');
// graphics
myGraphicIconID._alpha=0; // hide a graphic by making it fully
transparent
myGraphicIconID.fade('in', 1); // fade in a graphic over 1 second

Of course, there is a lot more you can do, but that short list should
cover much of what you are likely to need to do.

Paul