[Xerte] New Page Templates

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 09:35:13 GMT 2009

Folks,

I have put a new version of page templates in the Xerte install on the
website. It breaks the .rlt file down into individual models - .rlm
files - so you'll now see a models folder in there, which contain models
of pages which used to be on the pageStore framework in the .rlt file.
This brings a number of benefits:

- the .rlt is now tiny and very fast to load. It's now 3kb - it was
157kb;
- only the models needed by the piece are loaded at runtime, again
making things faster / more efficient;
- because new page types don't keep bloating the .rlt file, we can
continue extending the Page Templates template with lots more page types
without worrying about size / performance. Each page type does need the
relevant entries in the .xwd file still.
- it is much easier for you to customise the template to your own
requirements and prevent my changes overwriting yours - particualy it is
now much simpler to extend the template with your own custom page types
- but you will still have to maintain the .xwd file;
- the .rlm files can be opened and directly edited in Xerte;

I had to do a bit of messing about in the parser to get the models to
load in the way I wanted them to, and handle some timing issues - please
have a play around with the new template and let me know if you find any
issues. Old projects should still work OK (mine appear to anyway). I'd
also be interested in any ideas you might have about reducing the need
to maintain the .xwd, but I'm a bit stuck as to how to dynamically
generate this information. I guess the way is to include each page
type's newNode and the styles for the wizard in the model itself
somewhere, and have the wizard get it from there, but I need to think
that through.

Thanks,