[Xerte] Slightly Overwhelmed

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 15 09:56:20 GMT 2009

To add to this:

Xerte is a powerful tool for developing interactive materials. When you
download and install Xerte, what you get is  tool aimed at people who
can write some code and understand the world of objects, properties,
methods and events. Probably those people already write some
actionscript or javascript, which is required to build the more advanced
stuff. The programming language in Xerte is very close to actionscript /
javascript, but is a little more forgiving for new users, making it a
good place to learn to write code if you've not done any before. This
will take some time though - don't panic. As your skills deveop, you can
extend Xerte in a number of ways, making it a very powerful suite of
tools.

Not everyone wants or needs all this power. To make Xerte accessible to
users without scripting skills, or for developers who want to create
content quickly, Xerte provides a wizard interface, and comes installed
with a template called pageTemplates, which you can use from the
templates menu. Templates can be created by more advanced developers,
and when they are used, there is no need to write any code - you simply
use the wizard interface to create the content by filling in forms.
Because Xerte is essentially a flash movie, you can add custom
functionality to templates by creating your own flash movies to include
in the pages. The page templates template goes a long way to help create
typical, quite simple, but attractive elearning.

Xerte Online Toolkits takes this one step further by putting the wizard
in the browser, and allowing users to log on and create projects based
on templates online. There is no need to download and install anything,
but to use it, you will need to set it up on a a web server. The web
server environment also brings a number of other benefits, such as being
able to collaborate with other developers when working on projects, and
simplifies publishing since content is already online. You can install
it on your own machine, following these instructions:
http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/pipermail/xerte/2008-September/000730.html
. If you like this approach, you will probably need to explore with IT
people how to set this up on your web servers, and make it available to
all the users on your network.

Fire away with any questions and read the help file, there's a lot to
learn about,