[Xerte] Blank page after login

Ken Scott k.scott at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 13:36:49 GMT 2009

Thanks, but on a hosted solution I don't think I have access to change this

Cheers all the same!

Ken

On 11/12/2009 13:35, "Fred Riley" <Fred.Riley at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have installed the moodlepatch and made all the changes as
> per the readme.
> When I visit the xerte site (underneath the moodle directory)
> I am redirected back to moodle, login OK then redirected to
> xerte. However I get a blank page.
>
> Anyone seen this?

Not in Xerte Toolkits which I've no admin experience of, but it's a
frequent problem with PHP-based applications. If your PHP installation
has display_errors set to 0 in the php.ini then you'll not see any
errors at all and will just get a blank page if a fatal error has
occurred. Sysadmins usually have display_errors off for security, but
it's a pain for developers. If you're ok with PHP script editing, the
following in a script will turn on errors and display all bar trivial
notices:

// Report all errors except E_NOTICE
// This is the default value set in php.ini
ini_set('display_errors', "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

See also the PHP manual for error_reporting
(http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.error-reporting.php) and ini_set
(http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php). You can get the
value of display_errors, and indeed all PHP settings on your server,
using the phpinfo() function
(http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.phpinfo.php).

If you're not ok with PHP scripting, your eyes will have glazed over by
now :(

Cheers

Fred