[Xerte] How to Install Xerte Online Toolkits

Peter Pretorius pete.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:36:00 BST 2009

Hi all,

I'm a true novice to working with web servers and web hosting.  Although I
had no trouble installing the Xerte desktop app on my laptop, when I tried
my hand at installing Xerte Online Toolkits on my web server, I ran into
trouble.  My hosting service is Siteground (www.siteground.com).

I was able to download toolkits, and upload it to the server into its own
folder, without a problem.  I was then able to successfully use my browser
to view the "setup" page.  On that page, Xerte directs you to set
permissions for roughly five folders/files to 777.  I should note that the
default setting for all of these folders was 755.  I was able to
successfully change the permissions to 777.  However, upon trying to
"continue" the install, I received an error message that reads:  "500 -
internal server error."  The error page lists several possible reasons for
this error, with one of them being:  "Incorrect file/directory permissions:
Above 755."

By the way, that initial Xerte Toolkits setup page also directs you to
adjust several php files.  Some of those files I was completely unable to
find.

I looked for guidance in the list archives, and through a general web Google
search, but perhaps I'm not searching in the correct manner or in the
correct location.

Is there a step-by-step setup guide for Xerte Online Toolkits?

Thanks,
Pete Pretorius
Curriculum Designer
Salem, MA  USA