[Xerte] How to disable the Tab key as the "Accessablility" key?

Paul Swanson Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
Mon Aug 3 18:16:31 BST 2009

I got it!

_level0._focusrect = false;

No more yellow border! Yay!

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Dave Burnett
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 9:17 AM
To: Xerte list
Subject: RE: [Xerte] How to disable the Tab key as the "Accessablility"
key?

This thread looks interesting.

Removing the yellow outline rect without removing the Tab capability
apparently..

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=482572

> Subject: RE: [Xerte] How to disable the Tab key as the
"Accessablility" key?
> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:30:34 -0700
> From: Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
> To: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
>
> Hi Alistair,
>
> Thanks for those comments. I agree that accessibility is important and
needs to be maintained. I don't think it would be an issue for this
course (a tutorial on using one of our software programs), however,
because the interaction that I have on these pages is an onKeyDown event
which works for the Tab key as well as any other key. I have been
placing "Press any key to continue" text on the screen, but was asked to
change that to "Press the Tab key to continue" to reinforce to our
customers that using the Tab key is more efficient than using the mouse,
and ensures that no required fields are missed. However, pressing the
Tab key also places a yellow border around images and text. It's the
border that I would actually like to get rid of. So I guess I should
have used a subject line of "How can I change the color of the
accessibility highlight border?" Changing it to the same color as my
background will accomplish what I want.

> There doesn't seem to be a property I can set in the Xerte interface
panels, but I figure there is some property I could set in my setup
script. rootIcon.accessibilityBorderColour = 0xD4E1EE or something like
that would do fine. I just need to know what the property is. Does
anyone know?

> Thanks!
>

> _____________________________
>  Paul Swanson
>  Instructional Designer
>  Harland Financial Solutions
>  Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
> _____________________________

be careful to let users know the alternative key that's assigned in its
place.
> Xerte is getting widely known and one of the reasons it's taking off
in education is the high level of accessibility. If a non-mouse user was
to come across a Xerte based resource where keyboard access had been
knowingly removed they might be minded to invoke DDA legislation against
the service provider. By all means enjoy tweaking, adapting and
providing alternative clever ways of delivering accessibility but reduce
it at your peril.

> Alistair McNaught
> Senior Advisor for Further Education
> JISC TechDis service
> The Higher Education Academy Building
> Innovation Way
> York Science Park

Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try BingT now.
<http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_
BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1>