[Xerte] Wiki

Alistair McNaught Alistair.McNaught at HEAcademy.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 09:46:17 BST 2009

Thanks for doing that Mark.

It looks like we might need some notes for screen reader users and some
guidance for contributors so that they are aware of basic good practice
in terms of layout and headings.

This may be a daft question but can I check that WikiMedia and WikiPedia
are the same underlying engine?

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Mark
Tomlinson
Sent: 29 April 2009 14:02
To: 'Xerte discussion list'
Subject: RE: [Xerte] Wiki

And in addition, I contacted a blind admin of Wikipedia for his thoughts
on it:  His response is here:

"Hi Mark,

MediaWiki is on the whole very accessible for screen reader users, as
long as the pages are laid out sensibly (i.e. with headings separating
each section). The biggest problem I can think of is the position of the
section edit buttons; since they're placed before the section title in
the HTML, a screen reader will read a section as "edit <sectionname>". I
have a script in my monobook.js file, which moves them to a better
location for screen readers, which you can copy to your Monobook.js file
for all users. If you need to turn CAPTCHAs on for account creation,
make sure they're accessible to all users. Reading diffs can be tricky
for screen reader users; I've found that the best way for me to read a
complex diff is to go into the HTML source code and search for class
names like "diffchange". Apart from that, I can't think of anything
else. I've been using Wikipedia for quite a while now so it's
second-nature to me, so I could have missed some things. Also, I only
have experience with using JAWS for Windows with MediaWiki, so I'm not
sure how well other screen readers would handle it."

I'll look at the issue he mentioned to see if I can solve it (edit
buttons), but on the whole I think we could hold our head up high on the
accessibility front for people using JAWS at least.

Mark