[Xerte] Toolkits documentation

Dave Burnett d_b_burnett at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:56:54 BST 2009

> What are people's preferences on file formats - PDF / Docx / RTF? I'd
> like people to actively modify and change the documents, but don't want
> to end up acting as a librarian.

Under the "no good deed goes unpunished" rubric, I think a dynamic web-based doc format is almost unavoidable.

Xerte has from the start grown pretty organically, and the team has been incredibly responsive to implementing feature/function requests, bug fixes and plain old "wouldn't this be cool" add-ons.

The speed at which Xerte evolves I think is going to make any hard copy doc a nightmare to maintain, and have limited currency. How many times do you want to download a .pdf as it grows exponentially?

Unsurprisingly, the format choice will also be subject to the old learning style debate. I myself find a short explanation, along with either a code chunk or an example file to tear apart, usually more valuable/enlightening than a 20 page description.

My 2 pence (new).

Dave