[Xerte] How to handle wrong text entries

Peter Huppertz peter.huppertz at baselgovernance.org
Wed Apr 15 08:35:00 BST 2009

Dear List,

I use the Nottingham template as a base for my modifications. The template
includes a gap fill exercise which uses the textEntry icon. I want to
expand the template to include scoring for right and wrong fills. Also I
want to disable the feedback, because the exercise is used for a placement
test. The only feedback is shown at the end of the test like "You answered
xx of yy questions correct".
This is what I did:
- changed the .xwd to contain a checkbox for "Disable Feedback"
- modified the gapfill.rml not to change the type of the textfield (from
input to dynamic) if the above option is enabled (I don't want to have the
feedback) and disabled the feedback message
- added a score variable to the script which is played when the entered
text of the textEntry matches the phrase
This works all fine but I still have a problem:
- If the user fills in the correct phrase and than changes the entry again
it is still considered as correct. Even worse: if the user changes the
entry again to the correct value the answer is counted again.
So my question is: How can I detect if the user changes the text entry to
a wrong value? Or perhaps there is another solution for my problem I
haven't thought of?

Peter