[Xerte] RE: Importing older files to Xerte Online Toolkits V1.0

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 17:01:27 BST 2009

Yes, that's a good way.

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk [mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Rochford, Thomas
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 4:55 PM
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: [Xerte] RE: Importing older files to Xerte Online Toolkits V1.0

I'm trying to draw up a list of instructions to advise users how to export files from previous versions of Xerte and import them into the new version.

At the moment, the only way I can do this is as follows:

1)      Using your old system, export them as scorm.zip files and store them in a safe folder

2)      Extract the contents to a new folder

3)      Locate the <LO ... > header of the file called "learningobject.rlo" for each learning object -
it will probably look like this:

                <LO styleSheet="templatePath + 'common/styles.css'" inputColour="0xFFFFCC" selectableText="1"
                 templateData="FileLocation + 'template.xml'" name="Learning Object">

                Replace it with the following

                <LO description="A flexible template for creating interactive learning objects"
                targetFolder="Nottingham" version="1.0" styleSheet="templatePath + 'common/styles.css'"
                inputColour="0xFFFFCC" selectableText="1"
                templateData="FileLocation + 'template.xml'" name="Xerte Online Toolkit">

4)      Now zip everything up into a NEW zip file and rename it to something more comprehensible if needed

5)      Click on Workspace and then on Properties and then on Import

6)      Use the browse button to locate the zip file you have just created, give the learning object a name and then click on the upload button to upload it. You should get a confirmatory window and the new object should appear in your 'Workspace' folder.

My apologies if this all sounds a bit laboured but it is intended for a general audience, rather than developers. However I thought I ought to check to see whether anyone has an easier way, as I'm about to put these out together with the instructions for downloading the stick-based version of toolkits 1.

Kindest Regards,

Thomas

RSCs - Stimulating and Supporting Innovation in Learning

RSC Eastern welcomes feedback on our services via

support at rsc-eastern.ac.uk.

Keep up to date with e-bytes for free

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/e-bytes.html

Thomas Rochford

e:Learning Advisor, Infrastructure & Learning Technologies

JISC Regional Support Centre - Eastern

Anglia Ruskin University, CU House, Southernhay, Basildon, SS14 1EZ

Eml: t.rochford at rsc-eastern.ac.uk

Mob:  07500 669 002

Fax: 01223 563142

Skype: cambridge.serendipity