[Xerte] Sound "wait" problem on web

Kent Chesnut kent_chesnut at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 20 23:38:48 BST 2008

Julian,
Thanks so much for the quick response.

The streaming property had no effect.

Also, I reviewed the pageTemplate.  I'm no expert, but it appeared you used the controls and let the user start the playback... anyway, the play property was off and I couldn't find anyplace that called play.

I did a little more playing... I set up the Sound Icon to have play and wait off, and moved it out of the interaction up into the Entry Frame.  I used loadSound() (called when a page is entered) with events onSoundComplete and onLoad.  I was able to get the program to function correctly when I used the flash id.getSound().start(0,0) to play the sound.
(Play() would work... but I had problems when going to the next page and playing... seemed it wanted to start playing at the end... had some luck with .reset(), but kept finding odd conditions that wouldn't work.

Thanks so much for your help.

Have a great weekend,
Kent

Subject: RE: [Xerte] Sound "wait" problem on webDate: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:54:22 +0100From: Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.ukTo: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.uk

it ought to work as you describe. I have a similar situation in the pageTemplate.rlt file for handling narration on each page with one sound icon in the entry frame - you might check that out.

Before you do that, try setting the streaming property to 1 and see if that helps.

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk on behalf of Kent ChesnutSent: Sat 20/09/2008 15:51To: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.ukSubject: [Xerte] Sound "wait" problem on web
Xerte Users,I have yet another newbie type question.  Sorry to be a pain. I've put all my interactions within the entry frame of the project and just use the pages to set up text, sound file name, ...  I have a sound icon in a perpetual interaction within the entry frame (the user pushes a button to initiate the sound) set up to play FileLocation + audiofilename.  The Play and Wait properties are set.  When a page is opened, the audiofilename is set (to something like 'phone1.mp3').  When the user clicks the button, a "playing" message is shown, the audio is played, and then the message is removed. This works fine within the development environment.  When put on the web, however, control falls on through the sound icon and the "playing" message is only shown momentarily (even though the sound goes ahead and plays correctly).  If the button is pressed again, the program acts as expected. My theory... the sound file is not loaded when the sound icon is activated, so the wait function doesn't work and control falls on through.  A few seconds later, the sound file is completely loaded, so the sound icon works as expected.  Does my theory sound correct?Is there a way to work around the problem?  like preloading the sound file?Or is there a better way to handle this situation? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Have a great day,Kent