[Xerte] Text Icon Field with Fill

Kent Chesnut kent_chesnut at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 23:38:43 BST 2008

Julian and Patrick,

Thanks so much for the input.  One great reason to use open source software is the community support and quick replies to questions such as this.

Have a great evening (or, maybe it's morning over their by now ;-)
Kent

Subject: RE: [Xerte] Text Icon Field with FillDate: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:49:34 +0100From: Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.ukTo: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.uk

If you know Flash, then it will be helpful to know that all icons become MovieClips at runtime. That means they can do all the usual things like beginFill(), hitTest() etc. There are some helpful drawing methods in the icon class that all icons inherit from, such as drawRect(). Check the help for others.

So, give the icon an ID, then in a script icon you can do this to fill the label:

myIconID.beginFill(0xFF000,100);
myIconID.lineStyle(1, 0x000000,100);
myIconID.drawRect(0,0,100,20);

If you do Flash it will also be helpful to know that you can handle all the native MovieCLip events such as onPress, onRelease etc using event responses on an interaction icon.

We plan to use Zinc 3.0 to build Xerte at some point, which will allow us to compile for Mac and Linux. Not sure when that's going to be at the moment.

Have fun,

Julian

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk on behalf of Kent ChesnutSent: Mon 08/09/2008 13:20To: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.ukSubject: [Xerte] Text Icon Field with Fill
Xerte users, I'm a Xerte newbie with a quick question. I'm using a text icon as a drag and drop element (I need to programmatically change the text based on the current screen - which I know how to do with the text icon).  However, I've been unable to get the text field to show a solid fill (background).  Is this possible? It may be better to use a draw icon for the drag and drop... but I don't see how I could change the text within the draw element.  Is this possible? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. As an Authorware and Flash user, I find Xerte to be a great product.  I plan on using it a lot in the future.  Any plans for deployment on Linux or Mac? Thanks,Kent