[Xerte] Making conditional itineraries with Xerte

Ramon Ovelar ramon.ovelar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 08:05:38 BST 2008

Hello,

I have been keeping an eye on Xerte since a bit more than a year, but never
really working with because I find this tool a bit too much complicated for
the people (normally university teachers) who come to my workshops. To give
you a quick idea, the average skilled teacher feel confident with eXe
Learning, Blogger, Wikispaces...

Now I have a different demand (of similar skilled teachers) who want to
create materials where students would find "conditional itineraries": what I
try say (i'm not sure if this expression is correct) is something like a
practical problem, let's imagine a doctor making a diagnostic, where
depending of the decision of the learner s/he would be taken to different
slides.

I imagine that there is no problem of building these kind of itineraries
with Xerte using the code. What I wonder is if we can make a primary
template that will allow non skilled users to edit content in the pages
(that's ok) and be able to modify this itinerary (that's my question).

For instance, let's imagine that a teacher is presenting a situation (
symptom of a patient) and the template has two possibles answer, let's say A
(flu) and B (cold) and he wants to add a third one C (food poisoning).

I have been looking around to the examples (problem-based learning) and
looking at the possibilities of duplicating items and importing models, but
I'm not able to understand the code and so I'm quite limited to evaluate the
possibilities.

Do you have any example that would fit (at an elementary level) these needs
so that I can present Xerte in a meeting where we have to evaluate different
solutions to these problem. Or just your advice or experience in similar
situations.

Thanks in advance,

--
Ramón Ovelar